Document Your Utilities
There is a wide variety of responsibilities that goes into owning a business. One of which is knowing your facility inside and out. There are times that you will not be onsite to assist should something go wrong, so it is crucial to have all the important information about your facility organized. It is not uncommon to speak with a business owner who does not know the location of the main water shutoff, gas shutoff, electric shutoff, etc. Knowing this information can help mitigate a loss immensely. If a pipe break causes your business to flood, mere seconds are costly. Make it a priority that managers, maintenance personnel, and other employees know where the utility shutoffs are and who they need to call should something happen.
Water damage that tends to be one of the least noticeable is when an appliance is leaking. An appliance leak can go unnoticed for months causing serious damage to your home. Unfortunately it is not only water damage that you have to be concerned about, but also the mold that it can produce. If you discover a leaky appliance, it is very important to know whether or not it has produced mold. If you smell a musty odor around the affected area, it is likely that mold growth has begun regardless of whether it is visible. Mold does not need light to grow so it is common to find it in damp and dark areas. Moisture and mold that is left unresolved can result in severe structural damage.
What Can You Handle?
When speaking with local businesses throughout Muskegon, the focus of discussion is often water and fire damage. We often hear the phrase "We handle all our stuff in-house". Although well prepared and well funded maintenance crews are able to manage most scenarios, there are times when a loss can just be too much. That is where we come in. Our highly trained team of technicians have the experience and equipment to perform even the most extensive restoration jobs. Much of these large scale disasters require specialty restoration equipment that most maintenance teams do not have on-hand. That is why we encourage local businesses to have a go-to restoration company that can help in their time of need. A loss tends to happen at the most inconvenient times and action is often required immediately.
Believe it or not, clothes dryers are a real fire hazard. There are approximately just under 3,000 clothes dryer fires in the US per year. Luckily, there are some precautions that you can take to help prevent such a disaster.
- Have the dryer professionally installed. The technicians who install the appliance tend to be knowledgeable about the units and familiar with most of the manufacturing recommendations.
- Have the dryer regularly serviced. Failure to clean the dryer properly is the leading cause of dryer fires. Much of this is ensuring the lint trap and surrounding area is clean and the venting system is inspected.
Dryers are one of the most dangerous appliances and need to be regularly maintained. If you have not serviced your dryer in multiple years, it should be high on your priority list.
The Dark Side Of Candles
Most homeowners burn candles on a somewhat regular basis. No matter how much you enjoy the aroma and ambiance, candles are a real danger for multiple reasons. The first is obviously a fire risk. You should never burn candles near flammable materials and should always keep them out of reach of children and pets. The second, less obvious danger, is soot damage. A smoldering candle has the ability to do some serious damage. Soot, which is chiefly made up of carbon, can coat your walls, carpet, furniture, blinds, drapes, contents, and more. It also has the ability to enter the ventilation system and blow throughout your home. If a smoldering candle has left you with soot damage, it is important to not attempt to clean it yourself. Incorrect cleaning of soot can result in further damage.
If you are a restaurant owner, you fully understand the fear of experiencing a fire. Whether large or small, it can easily put you out of commission for an extended period of time or even shut your doors for good. With your business heavily relying on being open to the public, we make it our priority to get you back running as quickly as possible. We have experience restoring all different sized commercial properties after a fire loss. We ensure that you will stay informed every step of the way to make the process as smooth as possible. No job is too big or small for us to handle. We always make sure that our customers are both safe and satisfied when our work is completed.
There are a variety of ways that moisture can get into your facility. Unfortunately, some moisture isn't easily detected until you discover the presence of mold. Mold can primarily be discovered through visibly seeing it or smelling a musty odor. If you own a business of any kind, it is always a priority to ensure the safety of your customers. Mold has the ability to grow very quickly after experiencing water damage and should be addressed immediately. If you are unsure what is causing the mold, we can often times assist in that as well. Our technicians have the tools and experience to discover the presence of hidden moisture that could be the root of the problem. If mold is discovered in your facility, trust the professionals to successfully remediate it. If not performed correctly, mold can easily spread and become a larger problem.
Below Freezing Dangers
It is winter in West Michigan and that means there are a variety of things that could go severely wrong and cause damage to your home or business. One of the most common issues are frozen pipes. Here are the pipes that are most likely to freeze:
- Pipes that run outside
- Water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements, crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets
- Pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insulation
It is important to keep an eye on areas that house these pipes throughout the winter to ensure there are no issues. If you fear that you are at high risk for frozen pipes, add extra insulation to your home as well as insulation around the pipes themselves. The cost to prevent frozen pipes is minor compared to the damage they can produce.
Discovering Water Damage
There are many different ways that water can gain access to your home. Whether it is coming from outside or inside, discovering it isn't always as easy as one would think. Moisture has the ability to go unnoticed for days, weeks, or even years. By the time it is actually discovered, extensive damage has most likely already occurred. If you have any reason to believe that your home has experienced water damage (smell, warped wood, etc.), call us immediately. We have a variety of tools including moisture detectors, thermal imaging cameras, and more to discover where the moisture is coming from and how extensive the damage is. The odds of being able to restore rather than replace are a lot higher if the damage is discovered sooner.
High Water Table
Water tables can become elevated when they receive more water than they drain off. This is often the result of unusually high amounts of precipitation. With 2019 being the wettest year in West Michigan history, many individuals are experiencing flooding resulting from high water tables. With it only being mid-winter, it could be until mid-summer before we begin to see a decline. If you live in an area with a high water table, it is important to check your basement regularly. The water table can fluctuate fairly drastically at a quick rate and cause flooding at any time. To prevent extensive damage to your home, it is important to discover the flooding as quickly as possible. If you have water damage, we are here to help!
Call Us Today – (231) 733-7601