If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (800) 556-3661

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Restaurant Grease Fire in Muskegon, MI

4/7/2021 (Permalink)

Aftermath of grease fire in commercial kitchen Call SERVPRO of Muskegon after a commercial kitchen grease fire.

Fires are the biggest realistic disaster to occur in a restaurant.  According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there are an average of 8,240 fires at restaurants a year with $245 million plus in property damage.  Around 40% of restaurant fires start in the kitchen.  The following are some of the top causes of these fires, and what can be done to prevent them:

  • Exhaust System and Ductwork In restaurants, a main way fires spread so rapidly is due to the ventilation work and exhaust system.  Vents and fans behind cooking equipment, such as ovens and stoves, and oven hoods, can get grease buildup and extract flammable vapors.  Make sure to clean these regularly to reduce the risk of fire, or at least the extent of the fire, if one does occur, will drastically decrease.
  • Oil and Grease Traps A grease fire occurs when the oil becomes too hot.  When cooking with oil, first it will boil, then it will smoke, and then it will catch on fire.  It can take less than 30 seconds for smoking oil to catch fire, so never leave your pot or pan unattended.  If you do experience a grease fire, turn off the burner but do not move the pan as that can cause the fire to potentially spread.
  • Electrical Electrical fires can be started from poorly constructed wiring or other electrical components projecting heat to flammable materials.  Short-circuiting, plugging equipment in beyond the electrical capacity for the building, can also cause a fire.  An electrician should routinely check wiring to protect against these risks.
  • Gas Leaks Gas leaks are the most devastating restaurant fire.  These happen when equipment can no longer support the gas flow adequately, leaving flammable gas in the air.  These leaks can usually be detected by smell and are a crucial issue to deal with.

This business in Muskegon had a grease fire which was put out by a fire extinguisher.  They knew to call SERVPRO of Muskegon to take care of the grease, fire extinguisher powder, and grease smell.  With our special SERVPRO products our technicians were able to make everything look and smell "Like it never even happened."

Has your restaurant experienced a grease fire?  This is not a DIY project for your employees.  Call SERVPRO of Muskegon, a trusted leader in the restoration industry, to restore your business quickly, 231-733-7601

Other News

View Recent Posts